Get Ready Now! Extreme Pumpkins
is the wave of the future |
Tom Nardone promotes creative endeavors when cutting up the favorite squashes this year | He's been promoting this before and expects to push the envelope further this year |
Other efforts shown on the site include the drowned pumpkin/pumpkin in a plastic bag; skulls; a Balinese demon carving and a pumpkin cared with a .22 rimfire pistol |
What's great about this site is not the weirdness, not in my opinion anyway | What's great about the site is the practive suggestions about how to properly pick, design and carve out your design | Plus other handy advice on things like how to keep the pumpkin lit and [maybe most important] how to keep your carved pumpkin preserved for the rest of the season |
14 ELEMENTS OF FASCISM
"[American fascists] use every opportunity to impugn democracy. . . They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution.." -- Former Vice President Henry A. Wallace, the New York Times, April 9, 1944
In Jan. 2004, Laurence W. Britt identified 14 basic characteristics of fascist regimes
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism.
2. Disdain for the importance of human rights.
3. Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause.
4. The supremacy of the military/avid militarism.
5. Rampant sexism.
6. A controlled mass media.
7. Obsession with national security.
8. Religion and ruling elite tied together.
9. Power of corporations protected.
10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated.
11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts.
12. Obsession with crime and punishment.
13. Rampant cronyism and corruption.
14. Fraudulent elections.
See also: When Fascism Comes to America
by Maureen Farrell
SPEAKING WITH PICTURES
Sometimes words fail me
and I have to "speak" through what I see |
Some recent examples |
| in the shadows
| old saybrook station
| just before sunset
| father bill's cabin
| over engleman's left shoulder
| one of mark's mantels
| shopping mall slalom course