Joel Sax reminds us that Saturday, December 10th is International Human Rights Day
. This year, in recognition, the World Health Organization [WHO] has put the focus on recognizing the Rights of peoples with mental health disorders and how their basic human rights are often violated. A photo essay entitled Forgotten people: Mental Health and Human Rights
, profiles some of these violations and shows how they can be prevented. |
Joel has also posed a new meme: Mental Health Awareness
It’s specifically for those who suffer from mental illness. There’s a shorter meme for those who don’t following it. The main purpose of the meme is simple: tell us how it is.For people with mental illnesses
* What is your diagnosis?
* When were you diagnosed?
* How long do you believe you have suffered from mental illness?
* What medications are you taking for your disorder?
* Tell us about an episode.
* Do you feel ashamed about suffering from a brain disorder?
* What advice do you have for other sufferers?
* What advice do you have for those who don’t suffer from your condition?
* Is there anything you want to say to Tom Cruise?
Thank you for your courage.For the unafflicted
* Do you believe in mental illness?
* Are there any mentally ill persons in your family? What is their disorder? Are they compliant with taking their medication or resisting?
* Are you afraid of the mentally ill?
Please include all the questions when you answer this meme. Do a trackback to Joel's site